SHT – Days 3 to 5

The storm last night was a good one. The real downpour didn’t last long, thankfully. As soon as it got heavy I realized I needed to adjust my tarp or suffer very wet gear. I moved to get out of the rain and get a good nights sleep.

Ryan had sore legs, so he’s going to get a shuttle and skip ahead.

We hiked through Magney State Park and saw Devils kettle falls. It’s an impressive waterfall and river gorge. The falls is likely running strong due to the storm the night before. After checking the falls it’s doe to the parking lot.

Ryan calls for a shuttle and takes off. I eat some ramen and hike west for a few more miles to the North Little Brule site, which is a nice site. It’s a quiet evening, and I go light on food to conserve for the rest of the section. I sleep well and wake up tired, eat breakfast and head out.

The trail descends toward lake superior and crosses Highwy 61 to the shore where the trail becomes the beach for 1-2 miles. It’s great.

I meet a hiker named Blake who’s southbound as well. We chat for a few minutes about hikes and living out west.

After the lake walk, the trail goes back inland, up the hill and past several beautiful creeks and rivers; all rocks and waterfalls and charm.

I’m getting low on food, but should have just enough to get to Grand Marais. About 100 calories every hour or so. I’m undecided about hiking into town tonight, or camping and going in in the morning.

I pass woods creek campsite, crossing the road. I consider calling a shuttle to town for a night in, and would restart here, but don’t like the idea of having to head ‘backwards’ to pick up where I left off.

I finally decide to keep going and camp at one of the devil track river sites then hike into town in the morning.

The Devil Track is an impressive canyon. The trail follows the eastern rim upriver for a couple miles past large waterfalls, then descends to the river and two campsites. I camp at the west site. It’s awesome; my favorite site so far. I set up, get cleaned up a bit, then eat everything in my pack except breakfast for tomorrow.

Day 5


I wake up to a light rain. Time get up and go to town.
It’s coffee and an instant breakfast and instant grits while I pack. Stuff is wet from the rain, but no matter; it’ll dry in the motel room I’m going to get.

I pack up and head uphill out of the canyon, through forest to pincushion mountain, a big lookout of exposed basalt. A few minutes there then it’s out toward the trailhead and down to town.

I have eggs and hashbrowns at the Blue Water cafe, and book a room at the mangy moose Motel. Then it’s some loitering by the lake until check in time.

Once in my room, stuff is pulled out to dry and I go out to resupply food. Conveniently, everything is within a few blocks. After shopping, I get a burger at My Sister’s Place. I sit at the bar (first time in over a year!) and chat with a guy from Iowa.

After that it’s back to my room to chill and repack. I watch a few old movies, all new to me: Hairspray, Marty, and Dogfight.

You may also like